Landscape and Gardening Tips – October
What our Pro’s are doing:
Hawks Landscape Designers and Installation Crews:
- Our landscape installation crews are still busy installing hardscapes and planting trees, shrubs and spring bulbs, but they will aim to finish planting evergreens by the middle of the month so they have time to get settled in before the ground freezes.
- Our landscape designers are working on end of season designs for those that still wish to get their landscapes in this season to be enjoyed immediately in spring.
Hawks Landscape Maintenance staff:
- Our plant bed maintenance crews are removing warmer season annuals and planting pansies, kale, colorful peppers, mums and asters for late season color.
- They will also begin to empty and cover fountains and water features and begin trimming perennials back at the end of the month. They will leave some up for winter interest, such as ornamental grasses and sedums.
- Our lawn care crews will continue core aerating lawns to reduce compaction, improve water and nutrient uptake by the lawn and create a greener, thicker lawn next year.
- Keep watering your evergreens and recently planted trees, shrubs and perennials.
- Remove soil from your outdoor pots and store them indoors or cover them for winter.
- Select amaryllis, tulips, daffodils, paper whites, etc. for winter forcing.
Please note: The timing on many of these tips is approximate and can vary greatly depending on a variety of factors. If you have any questions, please contact a Hawks Designer or Landscape Maintenance representative at 414-258-5525.